Sunday, September 23, 2012

El Torero


The mariachi trumpets sounded
And the steal gates holding back
That horned Hindi deity
Lunged out and asked my hand to dance.

Like a whirling dervish I spun around in the dust
Whipping up clouds of Aries breath
Congregations of small town Americans
Cheered for the Bull

Their bloodlust against life
Matched the hungry fans in
The stadium of the Coliseum as
Gladiators performed the same role I performed now.

Caesar turned down his thumb,
The President took communion,
The Pope smiled a grizzly mouth of gold teeth
The Bull let out a preaching wail

And his horn speared through my stomach and out my back.
And I lay there shish-kabobed on the Horn of religion
My guts exposed for the world to see  
And listened to the congregations fall silent

As they saw the same blood that ran through their veins
Trickle down the horn of the beast they cheered for.

No comments:

Post a Comment